Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cleft lip/palate surgery....the last 24 hours.


My "kiss" face.


Night before surgery



I didn't know 24 hours could be so long.

Jacob had his surgery yesterday and came through it fine. It has been a long day for us.  Jacob's first surgery was for tubes to be placed in his ears  The surgeon stated there was a lot of fluid behind his eardrums so we are hopeful this is the reason for his "mild to moderate" hearing loss.  Next was plastics.  Dr. Billmire did an incredible job at reconstructing Jacob's mouth and nose.  God has blessed this man and we are thankful to be in Cincinnati and in his care.  Dr. Billmire said Jacob had a large cleft and due to his "older" age and the tissue being less pliable (compared to the normal 0-12 months old that receives these surgeries), it was a harder repair.  He indicated Jacob may need another surgery or appliances to help mold the shape of his palate.  Jacob is in restraints that prevent his hands from going to his mouth and he is to wear them for a week (that should be fun.)  The last surgeon to go was the urologist who performed Jacob's circumcision. 



Waiting to be called back.


Sportin my new look


Doing the sign for "Mommy"

The last 24 hours have been a blur of trying to control Jacob's pain, getting him to eat, and helping him to rest comfortably.  I can officially say that it is true that you don't go to a hospital to get rest.  We were up every hour of last night between Jacob being uncomfortable and the nurses doing "their thing." 

They tell me Jacob is doing very well and his oral intake is surprisingly good, although to me it seems so minimal.  They will be keeping us at least another night due to the extent of work done.  This morning, they cut a stitch that was holding his tongue forward in his mouth so tonight we will monitor his breathing while sleeping and making sure he has a good airway.  As long as intake, output, and breathing are holding steady, we should be released tomorrow. 



Getting Fed



Sleeping (like my arm bands?)
 

In recovery and still a little "anesthetized".

Thank you for all who have sent messages of love, for the Pastoral staff that sat with us through the surgeries, and for the kind things you are doing to sustain us through this time.  You have put hands and feet to the Gospel and it is wonderful to be on the receiving end of this very tangible display of God's love.  He is so good!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Jennifer! Thanks for the update!
    My heart aches for the pain that little Jacob is dealing with and the challenges that face you guys as he recovers from all of these procedures. I agree - we are so blessed to live in a city with wonderfully skilled doctors! Tonight, I will be praying that you guys are home, praying for uninterrupted sleep, praying for quick healing, and praising God for our little China babies! Hang in there and let me know when you guys are ready for another play date! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer & Chris,
    Thank you for taking the time to share with everyone. I know how time consuming & emotionally overwhelming it can be to take care of a child in the hospital.
    I am praying for you all. Jacob is so very blessed to have you as parents. I believe that the Lord has a higher calling for your family. Please let me know if I can be of any help, I am more than happy to help in any way. I will continue to pray for you all.
    God bless you & the boys!
    Stephane
    .."for I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you & not to harm you, plans to give you hope & a future."
    Jeremiah 29:11

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob is looking good!! We are praying for a complete recovery. Praying for strength for you and Chris- knowing God is with you all the way through this ordeal and the end result will be such a blessing. Love to you, Ethan and grandparents. Let us know if we can do anything to help - you know you have our prayers. Donna and Bob.

    ReplyDelete