Sunday, May 11, 2014

To an Unknown Mother


To an Unknown Mother:

I know that day was not what you planned,
As you looked at your baby, cradled in your hand.
I imagine you wished there was a different way,
As you sacrificially gave him another home that day.
I wish you could see him and his beautiful, bright eyes,
The ones that reflect you, who gave him his life.
On this day, especially, I think about you,
I wonder what it's like, what you daily go through.
I imagine you wonder whose arms he is in.
Where he is, is he cared for, are they loving him?
I wish I could reach across this vast world,
And let you know in my arms, nightly, he is curled.
He is loved, he is wanted, he is such a delight,
He is joyful, he is cared for, he is a beautiful light.
We want you to know, as we celebrate Mothers,
You are part of our family, and he to another.
We tell him of your love, a kind to be celebrated,
One that is ever present, though you are separated.
We want you to know we are grateful for our son,
Who is blessed to have two Mothers, not just one. 

-Jennifer Evans Lutz

No comments:

Post a Comment