Sunday, February 24, 2013

Stopping to smell the roses





 The other day, Jacob and I went shopping for a Chinese New Year party we host every year.  I was a Mom on a mission.  I strapped on Jacob's seatbelt and helmet, double checked the cart's steering mechanism, and navigated the banks and turns of the supermarket.  If this was a sport, I'd have had the top sponsors vying for my cart's advertisement section!   


I had spent quite a bit of time in the floral department picking out flowers for table arrangements.  As I was passing the clerk, she asked me if I wanted a floral bag for all the flowers.  My response, "Certainly, maybe it will help keep his fingers out of them."  She kindly smiled and as she delicately wrapped our flowers she said, "I was watching him as you shopped.  His eyes just lit up at all the flowers around him."

 

Lit up?  How did I miss that?  All I remember is trying to keep his hands off them.  I immediately knew that if my child's eyes were lighting up in newness and discovery that I wanted to be a part of it.  How did I get so busy that I missed that? 


She then said with total wisdom and no judgement, "I've raised my kids and it's busy. Now I can look back at those things that I missed."  I knew I didn't want that.  I don't want to look back and wish I had been less busy, and paid more attention. 


Last night, we celebrated with our friends and family.  It was a marvelous celebration of love, adoption, family, and community.  In the chaos of trying to feed over thirty people, I knew that I didn't want to miss a thing.  Thank you my dear friends and family for the love, wisdom, and support you have breathed into our lives.  You have helped shape me into a better mother, a better wife, a better friend, and a very blessed woman.


Today, Jacob and I sat down with the flowers and explored to our hearts content.  No stone was left unturned.  No petal left untouched.  And no regrets for the time spent together. 


Luke 12:27
Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment